Rhubarb season is in full swing and now is as good a time as any to share our Homemade Rhubarb Tart recipe. So roll up your sleeves and get the rolling pin out and tell us what you think of our homemade tart. Why not share your own creation we are happy to post any recipe you send in!
Ingredients you will need…
225g/8oz of Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz of Margarine
¼ pint/150ml of cold Water
400g of Fresh Rhubarb
Sugar to sweeten Rhubarb
Milk to glaze Pastry
How to make…
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C / Gas6).
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Grate hard margarine into the flour. You may need a little flour on your fingers for this. Then using a knife or fingers grate margarine in the flour it should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add water and mix to a soft dough with the knife or fingers and turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly.
- If you wish to let your dough rest, refrigerate for roughly 1 hour, this step is optional.
- Roll out half the pastry onto an oven proof plate and trim the sides using a knife. Then dampen the edges of the pastry with cold water. This will help the top seal.
- Prepare the Rhubarb: Rhubarb leaves are poisonous and must be cut off the Rhubarb stalks and disposed of away from any leaf eating mammals. Wash stalks thoroughly and chop into Inch size pieces.
- Arrange the rhubarb on the pastry and sprinkle with plenty of sugar to sweeten.
- Roll the remaining pastry out and cover the rhubarb, trimming the edges again with a knife. Press down the edges of the top so it sticks to the bottom pastry and seals the edges.
- Use a fork to make small holes over the top to allow steam to escape. Glaze with milk to get a homemade golden colour.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool and enjoy!