These wonderful cakes are perfect for this time of year. They are fresh and light and provide a beautiful center piece for any table. Why not try our recipe and let us know how you got on? Send us your comments and any recipes or tips you would like us to publish.
Ingredients you will need…
175g (6 oz) of self-raising Flour
A pinch of salt
110g (4 oz) of soft Margarine
110g (4 oz) of Caster Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
Strawberry Jam / Raspberry Jam / Blackberry Jam
Paper Baking Cases
How to make…
Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas5.
- Combine the flour, salt, margarine, caster sugar, eggs and vanilla essence together in a bowl and beat until absolutely smooth for about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Then using a spoon, drop an equal quantity of the mixture into the paper cases and place the cases on a baking tray.
- Bake on the shelf just above the centre of the oven for approximately 15 – 20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and golden. Then remove them to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- When they’re cool, take a sharp knife and cut the top of each about ½ inch (1 cm) from the edge of the cake. Cut each top in half and set aside.
- Fill the cavity of each cake with about a tablespoon of fresh whipped cream and a teaspoon of jam, then sit the two top pieces of cake on top like butterfly wings.
- Serve and enjoy!