This easy recipe is perfect for those who like to customise the cake with icing and change it up depending on the occasion. This cake is a delight to make, why not share your creations?
This is a big cake that can be cut to size, if you feel you need a smaller cake just half the quantities or check out our kitchen cheat sheet.
Ingredients you will need…
For the cake
450g of Unsalted Butter
450g of Caster Sugar
2tsp of Vanilla Essence
450g of Self-Raising Flour
For the icing (optional)
250g of Unsalted Butter
500g of Icing Sugar
3 Tablespoons Water
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
How to make the cake…
- Beat the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add 8 eggs, one at a time, and 2 teaspoons of good-quality vanilla essence, then fold in the self-raising flour.
- Pour into two lined, (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans and bake at 150C for about 40 minutes, until the sponge springs back from a touch. Cool and enjoy. You can also add butter-cream frosting.
How to make the frosting…
- Simply cream together the butter and icing sugar, add the water and essence.
- For a chocolate cake replace 10% of the flour with cocoa and for chocolate butter-cream, simply omit the vanilla essence and add 100g of melted, good-quality dark chocolate.
- For added citrus zest, you can also ring the changes by adding the zest of a lemon or orange per 100g sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!