The great step by step recipe will guide you in how to make the best homemade carrot cake. Why not try it out and send us your pictures! We will post them for our followers as guidance under the category ‘photos from you’. Don’t forget to check out our baking tips to perfect your homemade carrot cake, kitchen cheat sheet and cake decorating tips guide.
Ingredients you will need…
For the Cake
4 eggs, at room temperature
200ml/7fl oz of Vegetable/Sunflower oil, plus a little extra for the tin
250g/9oz of Carrots, coarsely grated
100g/3½oz of Raisins/Sultanas
100g/3½oz of Walnut pieces, plus a few extra for decoration
1 zest of an Orange
200g/7oz of self-Raising flour
2 tsp of Mixed Spice
1 tsp of Baking Soda
¼ tsp of fine Salt
200g/7oz of light Sugar
For the Icing
150g/5½oz of unsalted Butter, at room temperature
45g/3 tbsp of Caster Sugar
300g/10½oz of Cream Cheese
How to make…
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line a deep, 20cm/8in round cake tin with baking paper.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, and lightly whisk using a fork.
- Add the vegetable oil to the eggs and whisk again.
- Add the grated carrots, raisins, walnut pieces and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, mixed spice, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the wet carrot mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine, making sure there are no pockets of flour.
- Spoon the cake batter into the lined tin and bake on the middle shelf for 1 – 1¼ hrs, until the cake has risen and is golden-brown all over.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set aside in the tin to cool for 10-15 minutes, then turn the cake out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting. Place the butter in a large bowl with the caster sugar, beat it for 2-3 minutes until light and creamy, and then beat in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Place the cake on to a serving plate or cake stand. Use a palette knife, or wide flat bladed knife, to spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Scatter more walnuts on the top. Serve and enjoy!