This rustic homemade apple tart recipe is made with orchard fresh apples, sprinkled with cinnamon and baked in a flakey buttery crust. This recipe is a near and dear to our family’s heart and we are most excited about sharing it with you.
Ingredients you will need…
225g/8oz of Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz of Margarine
¼ pint/150ml of cold Water
4 large cooking apples (peeled, cored and sliced thinly)
Sugar to sweeten Apples
Milk to glaze Pastry
How to make…
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C / Gas6).
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Grate hard margarine into the flour. You may need a little flour on your fingers for this. Then using a knife or fingers grate margarine in the flour it should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add water and mix to a soft dough with the knife or fingers and turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly.
- If you wish to let your dough rest, refrigerate for roughly 1 hour, this step is optional.
- Roll out half the pastry onto an oven proof plate and trim the sides using a knife. Then dampen the edges of the pastry with cold water. This will help the top seal.
- Arrange apples on the pastry and sprinkle with plenty of sugar to sweeten.
- Roll the remaining pastry out and cover the apples, trimming the edges again with a knife. Press down the edges of the top so it sticks to the bottom pastry and seals the edges.
- Use a fork to make small holes over the top to allow steam to escape. Glaze with milk to get a homemade golden colour.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool and enjoy!